The Department of Medicine LGBTQ+ Council, formed in 2021, advises the department chair on matters related to gender identity and sexual orientation equity, makes recommendations to ensure an equitable and inclusive environment in the department, and plans and implements activities that promote sexual orientation and gender identity equity.
“The council will foster LGBTQ+ community among residents, staff and faculty, promote visibility, and brainstorm the ways we can improve the working lives of LGBTQ+ physicians at UW’s various clinical sites,” said Dr. Kevin Steehler, inaugural co-chair.
The LGBTQ+ Council will work to 1) find ways to support, retain and provide opportunities for career advancement and leadership training for LGTBQ+ faculty/staff/trainees; 2) examine conditions of employment such as compensation and work environment, and find ways to prevent harassment, and improve the climate in the department; and 3) increase the visibility and accessibility of LGBTQ+ staff/faculty/trainees in the department.
“In my training, I sought after – and lacked – openly visible LGBTQ+ mentors,” said Dr. Steven Disharoon, inaugural co-chair. “With the creation of the new LGBTQ+ Council, I am hopeful that we will not only be able to foster community and enhance visibility of all the amazing LGBTQ+ faculty, staff, and trainees in the Department of Medicine, but also be able to work towards fostering an even more inclusive work environment.”
This council will be collecting data and reaching out across the department to work on the united goals of ensuring an equitable and inclusive environment and promoting sexual orientation and gender identity equity in the Department of Medicine.
“I am thrilled that we have formed this council,” said Department Chair Dr. Barbara Jung. “And I am committed to creating a safe and equitable place to work. We need to promote an inclusive environment across the department for all to be successful.”
Dr. Steven Disharoon (he/him)
Clinical Assistant Professor
General Internal Medicine
- Katherine Alberty, Fellow, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
- Shiv Bhandari (he/him), Inpatient Chief Resident, UW Medical Center - Montlake
- Paula Carvalho (she/her), Professor, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, WWAMI - Boise
- Connie Celum (she/her), Professor, Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Brian Connor, Dermatology Resident
- Michael Deng (he/him), Clinical Instructor, General Internal Medicine
- Rob Fredericksen, Research Assistant Professor, Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Mack Holmberg (he/him), Inpatient Chief Resident, Harborview Medical Center
- Emily Marre (she/her), Clinical Instructor, General Internal Medicine
- Anthony Morgan (he/him), Research Coordinator, Allergy and Infectious Diseases
- Kayla Sheridan (she/her), Clinical Instructor, General Internal Medicine
- Gabrielle Zecha (she/her), Teaching Associate, Hematology and Oncology
- Mackenzie Keyse (she/her), Communications Specialist, Department of Medicine
- Santiago Neme, Clinical Assistant Professor, Allergy and Infectious Diseases; Medical Director, UWMC-Northwest Campus (liaison to the Gender Equity Council)