Current research in the Division of Medical Genetics builds on pioneering work done by the late Dr. Arno Motulsky and the role of heredity-environment interactions in the pathogenesis of disease.
Notable achievements and research
- Discovery that HeLa cells had contaminated many cell lines thought to be from other tissues
- Identification of the first gene, BRCA1, responsible for inherited susceptibility to breast cancer
- Complex and Mendelian Gene discovery
- Undiagnosed disease network site, sites in eMERGE, CSER, and CMG NHGRI genomic medicine consortia
- Gene Regulation and Gene Therapy
Did you know?
The movie Decoding Annie Parker is about Dr. Mary-Clare King and her work. Actress Helen Hunt portrays Dr. King and Samantha Morton plays Annie Parker.