The first obligation of members of the faculty and staff is the preparation for and carrying out of official University duties. 


Subject to approval in advance and within certain guidelines, UW faculty may consult and do professional work for compensation outside of the University. Any and all professional work performed for any type of compensation from a non-UW entity requires approval, with exceptions for non-profit organizations and as noted below.

For activities that involve direct patient care outside of UW Medicine, please refer to Sites of Practice.

The following summarizes general guidelines only – for the official policy, see Presidential Executive Order No. 57.

You may consult outside your official duties only if all of the following are true:

  1. The outside consulting is bona fide and work under the engagement is actually performed;
  2. The outside consulting is neither within official University duties nor under one's supervision;
  3. The outside consulting does not involve assisting others in transactions with the University in which the employee has participated;
  4. The outside consulting is not for an organization or person from whom the law prohibits receipt of gifts;
  5. The outside consulting is not under a grant or contract created by the University employee; and
  6. The outside consulting is not one which results in the unauthorized disclosure of confidential information or unapproved transfer of University intellectual property


  1. Create a PDF form using the SoM’s new online application.  
  2. Reviewers and approvers will receive an email notification once a Form 1460 has been submitted by a faculty member and is ready for further review. Click the link in the email notification to review the form and submit approval.  


  1. Maximum 13 calendar days each academic quarter (averaging no more than one day per seven-day week).
  2. May not use University facilities
  3. No conflicts of interest
  4. May not transfer intellectual property
  5. Must obtain prior approval (see above)

Use of UW facilites/equipment/resources

University owned facilities and equipment are to be used solely to support teaching, research, and administrative functions. De minimis use of University facilities and resources may be permissible for approved outside work if the following criteria are met:

  1. There is no cost to the UW;
  2. There is no interference with the performance of your official UW duties;
  3. Use is brief in duration and accumulation;
  4. Use does not compromise the security or integrity of UW information or software; and
  5. Use promotes organizational effectiveness or improves your work-related job skills.

For additional information regarding the University's Policy on the use of UW facilities, equipment or resources please refer to Administrative Policy Statement 47.2, especially section 3.c.

Serving as an expert witness

The policy of the Department of Medicine regarding expert witness testimony is as follows: If a patient at the center of an expert witness testimony activity has ever been touched by the UWP system, the activity must be billed through the UWP practice plan. If the patient has never been touched by the UWP system, you have a choice of filling out a form 1460 and receiving remuneration for the testimony activity OR you can choose to bill through the UWP practice plan.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

Do I need to request approval for outside work carried out in the summer, if I have a nine-month appointment which does not include the summer?
No. If the outside work will take place exclusively in the summer, will not involve use of UW resources, will not involve teaching at another institution, and does not conflict with any UW policy, then prior approval is not required.

Do I need to request approval for my outside work if I have a part-time faculty appointment?
Yes. Time commitment is not the only aspect of outside work that is considered. Form 1460 will also be reviewed for conflicts with UW policies as well as financial conflicts of interest or academic conflicts.

Do I need to request approval for consulting that I have already disclosed in the Financial Interest Disclosure System (FIDS)?
Yes. Your FIDS disclosure is required to initiate the process for assuring that your research or technology transfer activities are not in conflict with the financial interest resulting from your consulting. Your Form 1460 will be reviewed for conflicts with other UW policies and other types of conflicts, such as academic conflicts.

I have a part-time administrative appointment in addition to my faculty position. From whom do I obtain approval?
If the outside professional work pertains to your faculty position, obtain approval from your chair and dean/chancellor. If it pertains to your administrative position, obtain approval from your administrative supervisor.

What counts as "compensation"?
Compensation is defined very broadly in the UW policy and includes payments of any kind, equity interests (e.g., stock or options), and intellectual property. Under the policy, it is still considered compensation even if you waive or assign compensation or if the compensation is in kind.

What is "deeper involvement"?
Deeper Involvement refers to a relationship with an entity for which you are requesting approval to work that extends beyond the work itself. Examples include, but are not limited to, extensive and long-term consulting with a for-profit entity, ownership of a for-profit entity, a line-management position with a for-profit entity or other involvement in its day-to-day operations, a key continuing role in the scientific or technical effort of a for-profit entity, and providing assistance to a for-profit entity in the development or commercialization of an idea involving your expertise or technology that you have developed. Outside work with deeper involvement usually requires more extensive review and the implementation of a plan to manage resulting conflict.

What if my proposed outside work will amount to more outside work days than I am allowed under the policy?
Generally, days in excess of those allowed under the outside work policy will not be approved. Instead, a leave of absence or other arrangement would need to be made by you and your school or college.

What is usually not allowed?
Examples of situations that would generally not be allowed as outside work (assuming you are a 100% UW FTE employee) include outside work for more than 52 days over a one-year period without taking leave, teaching or conducting research at another institution, and performing work if your current visa status does not include work for an employer other than the UW.

What is the difference between requesting approval for outside work and disclosing paid consulting through the Financial Interest Disclosure System (FIDS)?
Your FIDS disclosure is required to initiate the process for assuring that your research or technology transfer activities are not in conflict with the financial interest resulting from your consulting. Your Form 1460 will be reviewed for conflicts with other UW policies and other types of conflicts, such as academic conflicts.

Do I need to request approval for outside work if I am on a nonimmigrant visa?
Outside work for compensation may not be allowed for persons on nonimmigrant visas. Please consult with the International Scholars Operations.

When do I need to request approval?
The policy stipulates that approval is required before the outside work begins. Please make every effort to request approval as soon as you know you will be performing the work. This will allow time for your request to be reviewed and approved and for a management plan to be established, if necessary.

Do I need to request approval for outside work that is already underway or has already been completed?
Yes. You should complete Form 1460 and submit it for review and approval by your department chair and dean or chancellor. While the request cannot fulfill the requirement for "prior" approval, the Office of Research will keep a record on file that you submitted a Form 1460. In the future, be certain to request approval in advance. This provides protection for you of potential violations of the Washington State Public Ethics Law.

How long will the approval process take?
Requests that are complete and do not involve any conflicts may be approved in the Office of Research in as little as three business days. Of course, your Form 1460 must first be reviewed and approved by your school or college. Those requiring more information or the development of a management plan, or that constitute deeper involvement, will take longer depending upon the situation.

Do I need to request approval every year for the same outside work?
Yes. A Form 1460 must be submitted for each year – July 1 through June 30.

How do I calculate the amount of time (days) to request if I am not exactly certain how much time I will be working?
If you do not know the exact number of days you will be engaged in outside work, provide an outside estimate – the greatest number of days you may be engaged. The approval will be based on the time estimate you provide.

How will I know if my request has been approved?
Notifications will be sent by email to you and to your school or college as soon as your request is approved. You may always contact the Office of Research ( to inquire about the status of your request.

I consult by the hour. How do I calculate the number of days?
Eight hours constitutes one day. Include travel time. If you spend more than 8 hours in a single 24-hour period, count it as 1 day. As an example: If you spend 1 hour per week on your cell phone for 8 weeks, plus a single 4-hour visit to the company with 3 hours of travel time each way, the total would be 2 days.