What is moonlighting?

Moonlighting is outside professional work for compensation.

Who can moonlight?

With approval, some faculty, residents and fellows can moonlight.

Who cannot moonlight?

  • Members of University of Washington Physicians (UWP)
  • Residents or fellows with ECFMG-sponsored J-1 visas, whether clinical or non-clinical work
  • Residents or fellows with H-1B visas without approved moonlighting-specific petition, whether clinical or non-clinical work

What are the rules for moonlighting?

Moonlighting must meet the following requirements:

  • Less than 13 calendar days per academic quarter AND Less than or equal to 1 day per 7 day week
  • It does not impact your regularly scheduled work through UW (teaching or other)

The School of Medicine has specific guidance regarding conflicts of interest and outside work.

Do I need approval?

For the most part you need moonlighting approval if you are being compensated for work outside of UW, except in the case of:

  1. Honoraria paid for scholarly presentations, serving on review panels, or participating in accreditation activities for nonprofit organizations, colleges and universities, and governmental agencies
  2. Compensation for work unrelated to your profession
  3. Paid outside work for a nonprofit association or society, public commission, or board of a philanthropic organization
  4. Paid outside work for contributing your professional expertise related to your academic work for scholarly, editorial and advisory bodies

When do I need approval?

PRIOR to starting outside professional work.

How do I get approval for moonlighting?

Sites of Practice

Site of practice approval would be required if you are providing clinical services and receiving payment for those services. For more on this, visit the Sites of Practice page. You may also need to have a clinical contract with the SOP. If there is one, a copy needs to be submitted with the proposal. If a new contract is needed, this will be addressed during the SOP process.