There are three faculty tracks and three faculty pathways:
- Regular track
- Physician/Scientist pathway
- Clinician/Teacher pathway
- Research track
- Clinical track
- Full-time clinical pathway
Within certain guidelines, you are allowed to switch from one track to another, or one pathway to another.
- Assistant professors may switch from clinician/teacher (C/T) pathway to physician/scientist (P/S) pathway at any time
- Assistant professors may switch from physician/scientist to clinician/teacher provided they have not completed 4 years in rank (except by approval from the dean)
Regular to FTCF/FTCF to regular
Note: these are considered new appointments and may be proposed at a higher rank. Please review the appointments section of this site for more information.
- Assistant professors may apply for appointment to an open full-time clinical faculty (FTCF) position, provided they have not yet completed 4 academic years as an assistant professor (except by approval from the dean)
- Associate professors or professors may apply for appointment to a FTCF position at any time, in accordance with the process defined for FTCF appointments
- FTCF may apply for appointment to a regular faculty position at any time, in accordance with the process defined for regular faculty appointments
Regular to research/research to regular
Regular and research faculty may switch tracks at any time, in accordance with the process defined for regular or research appointments. These are not considered new appointments.
Associate professors who switch from physician/scientist to clinician/teacher must serve 3 years in the new pathway before they can be considered for promotion.
- Pathway switches are reviewed by the department A&P committee and require review and approval by the chair and the dean
- Track switches are reviewed by the department A&P committee and require review and approval by the chair and the dean. These requests also require a full departmental vote.