Types of separation for faculty

  • Resignation
  • Retirement
  • Non-renewal of appointment
  • Removal for cause
  • Transfer to an affiliate or courtesy appointment



When you voluntarily resign from the University, you should give written notice of resignation at the earliest possible opportunity. Ideally, this would be at least three months prior to the termination date. The letter should provide the reason for leaving, the effective date, and information on the new place of employment, i.e. name of institution and location.


You should provide a letter to the chair and division head announcing your intent to retire and the effective date. If applicable, you should also include a request to be nominated for emeritus status.

Non-renewal of appointment

If your appointment will not be renewed, you will receive a communication from the dean and/or chair.

Grounds for removal for cause

You may be removed for cause or have a reduction of salary for one or more of the following reasons (faculty code section 25-51 and 25-63):

  1. Incompetence
  2. Neglect of duty
  3. Physical or mental incapacity to perform academic duties
  4. Unlawful discrimination or sexual harassment
  5. Scientific and scholarly misconduct, consisting of intentional misrepresentation of credentials, falsification of data, plagiarism, abuse of confidentiality, or deliberate violation of regulations applicable to research
  6. Conviction of a felony
  7. Intentional and malicious interference with the scientific, scholarly, and academic activities of others. To warrant a removal for cause or reduction of salary, conduct falling within these categories must in a substantial way adversely affect the faculty member's or the victim's academic, scholarly, or professional ability to carry out his or her University responsibilities.

See also, the faculty code section 25-71 Standard of Conduct

Transfer to an affiliate or courtesy appointment

If you are moving into an affiliate or courtesy appointment, provide a letter of resignation (as above), and your division will process the paperwork for a new appointment.

Employee responsibility

For all separations, you should take the following steps:

  • Contact the benefits office to clarify issues around benefit coverage
  • Return any UW equipment that you may have off site
  • Turn in all keys
  • Turn in the following where applicable: Husky card, employee ID card, parking permit, ProCard, Travel/Visa card, pager, cell phone, SecurID
  • Provide department administrator with passwords to computer files and voice mail
  • Update address in Employee Self-Service through MyUW for final check and W-2 form
  • Update voice mail message
  • Contact payroll office to discontinue payroll deductions