Resident Diversity Committee
The Resident Diversity Committee is a resident-led organization focused on fostering diversity and inclusion at the University of Washington Internal Medicine Residency Program. It was founded on the conviction that diversity among physicians makes us all better practitioners and leaders, and ultimately leads to better patient care.
Spotlight: Residency Diversity Committee
Department of Medicine Diversity Council
The Department of Medicine Diversity Council was formed in 2014 with Dr. Rudy Rodriguez as chair. Rudy is the chief of medicine at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System, vice chair of our department, and a professor in the Division of Nephrology.
Goal: To report and provide guidance on how to increase and sustain diversity in our faculty, training programs and staff.
Diversity Council members
The members of our Diversity Council represent a wide range of specialties.
- Daniel Cabrera, General Internal Medicine (co-chair)
- Bessie Young, Nephrology (co-chair)
- Lawrence Agodoa, Nephrology, NIDDK/NIH
- Mary Bach, Rheumatology
- Ruanne Barnabas, Allergy & Infectious Diseases/Global Health
- Monica Campo Patino, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
- Allyson Goldberg, resident physician
- Thomas Hawn, Allergy & Infectious Diseases
- Fuki Hisama, Medical Genetics
- David Horne, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine
- Daniel Lam, Nephrology
- Rayburn Lewis, Internal Medicine, Swedish Medical Center (WWAMI-Seattle)
- Alice Mao, Medical Resident
- Carmelita Mason-Richardson, student programs office
- Meredith Mathews, Nephrology, private practice
- Leo Morales, General Internal Medicine
- Johnnie Orozco, Hematology
- Rudy Rodriguez, Nephrology
- Kenneth Steinberg, Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine/Director, Residency Program
- Beverly Torok-Storb, Medical Oncology
- Joyce Wipf, General Internal Medicine
- Lorena Alarcon-Casas Wright, Metabolism, Endocrinology and Nutrition
- Erin Wu, Medical Resident